Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rangers Trade Gomez to Montreal for Chris Higgins

According to Kevin Allen of USA Today:

Canadiens' Higgins just traded to the Rangers, details to follow shortly as I get them.

Here are Higgins' stats, he is a restricted free agent as of tomorrow.

Update @ 5:05PM

According to TSN:
The Montreal Canadiens have acquired centre Scott Gomez from the New York Rangers in exchange for winger Chris Higgins.
This is a big trade for the Rangers, it clears a whole lot of cap room off of the Rangers roster. It could make Sather a major player tomorrow for one of the higher priced UFAs. I just hope he doesn't make another stupid mistake.

I'm waiting to see if there is still more to this deal that hasn't been released yet because Montreal just took on a huge contract for a player that is set to become an RFA tomorrow. As a NYR fan I would've preferred to have dumped Drury or Redden's contracts, but this is a start. I wish Gomez the best, he's not a bad guy & I actually think he tried but just didn't have the wingers that he needed to play with.

Update 5:25PM:
James Mirtle now reporting the extra players involved, nothing major.

Trade is like so:
Gomez along with Tom Pyatt and Michael Busto for Higgins and defencemen Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko and Doug Janik.

4 comments:

hey said...

higgins for gomez per kevin allen

Puck Central said...

That was what I put in there about 10 minutes ago ;)

Maybe the page didn't refresh yet. Thanks though

Anonymous said...

Nothing major?
McDonagh was the top rated prospect in the Habs system, and their #1 pick (12th overall) in '07
Maybe not "major" - but it's not something to sneeze at either....

Puck Central said...

McDonagh is a great prospect, I wasn't downplaying that at all. I was saying nothing major, because I, like most expected the Rangers to be the ones giving something up to dump Gomez's salary. I have no idea why Montreal were the ones that threw in the best prospect in the deal.