Friday, July 24, 2009

Hockey Fans Get On Twitter

Personally up until about two months ago I thought that Twitter was possibly the dumbest thing that was ever invented. Honestly, I still think it's lame to update your Twitter account to say stupid stuff like "walking dog" or "at the gym" - who cares?? In my opinion, it was basically a rip off of the feature of Facebook at the top of your profile that says "What's on your mind?", which was also basically a tool used by people to let others know what they are doing. Once again, how important do you think that you are that the rest of us honestly care what you are doing?

But, there are some very useful benefits to Twitter that I've discovered since joining it a few months ago. I'll focus on it from a hockey fan's perspective, since that's what you are if you are reading this blog (well, at least that's what I would expect). If you "follow" the right people you can get a lot of useful information (ie. trades, signings, waiver claims, injuries) before they are reported on any of the major media outlets or websites.

Many of the major hockey sources now have twitter accounts that are updated regularly and often the updates are just seconds after news is confirmed.

If nothing else, sign up for it and give it a try, it only takes a few minutes. I've put together a comprehensive list of hockey websites, beat writers, players, agents and bloggers that have the best information (in my opinion) and update their pages with the least amount of non-relevant information (like "I like chocolate ice cream!").

The list below is in no real particular order, but I did list the ones that I feel are the very best at the top of the list. To follow these people, just go to Twitter and in your internet browser address bar put the name below after the "/". For example, my Twitter account name is "PuckCentral", so my Twitter account url looks like this in the url bar: http://twitter.com/PuckCentral

Here's the list:

PuckCentral
kuklaskorner
wyshynski
mirtle
tsnbobmckenzie
DarrenDreger
Real_ESPNLeBrun
Russostrib
CapGeek
NHL
dchesnokov
ESPN_Burnside
RealKyper (Nick Kypreos)
NYP_Brooksie
Jay_Grossman
TSNjamesduthie
SteveZipay
ChrisBottaNHL
CraigCustance
kausatoday
walsha
benhankinson
martinhavlat
KevinWeekes
SpectorsHockey
Rossi_on_Pens
BenThrashers
OnFrozenBlog
TheProspectPark
StanFischler
rangersreport
DobberHockey
MattBarnabyESPN
morrisonHNIC
SNYRangersBlog
JapersRink
OilersNation
HockeysFuture
CanesCountry
JKFischer
TheFourthPeriod
NYRNation
DefendingBigD
Buccigross
TheHockeyNews
FrozenNotes
illegalcurve
htmbigcountry
andystrickland
Pokecheck
globehockey
hockeyfights
hockeychannel
HockeyNow
BigDHockey
canescorner
hockeywildernes
aportzline
darenmillard
nucksmisconduct
Sullivan26 (Steve Sullivan)
NHLdigest
BlueJacketsBuzz
motherpucker
mlse
Sean_Leahy
ongoalanalysis
predsontheglass
AGrossRecord
JimCerny
earlsleek
insidehockey
habsinsideout1
TGfireandice
MichelleKenneth
philabright
DP_57 (David Perron)
commie22 (Mike Commodore)
FanballNHL
Steve_Dangle
Forechecker
HockeyWebCast
TheoFleury14
EricEngels
EJHradek_ESPN
DNFlyers
nateewell
bmcnally14
ajcthrashers
GlobeKPD
AnthonySan37
DownGoesBrown
hockeylogic (Tom Chorske)
TheConfluence
drosennhl
DaveLozo
sroarke_nhl
ChiBlackhawks
HackswithHaggs
DonLagreca (talks all sports, Host of NHL Live)
jtbourne
dstaples
NHLdilo
NHLschuylerb
sbaicker
helenenothelen
JonathanWillis
HabsBlogger
GenePrincipe
ice_chip
eduhatschek
TSNRyanRishaug
ToddNHL
NortonSports
NYDNRangers
emcerlain
BizNasty2point0
Proteautype
GMMikeGillis
ChrisKuc
adamjahns
TimSassone
adater
dantencer
JasonGregor
katiestrangnyi
HockeyScanner
SunGarrioch
ian_mendes
jimgintonio
jonjordan
jonas640
martybiron43
GeorgesLaraque
BrandonPrust8
MRichie18 (Mike Richards)
TheNYRBlog
friesensunmedia
garylawless
botchoncanucks
reidder
NYDNRangers
simmonssteve
LightningTimes
erlendssontrib
NormSanders
lkorac10
MAGodin


Updated list, moved some names around, added a few people that are new on Twitter and deleted some accounts that I recognized were either deleted or not updated enough.



And if you already have Twitter, just use the button titled 'retweet' at the bottom of this post to send this list via Twitter to all of your followers




41 comments:

Joe said...

Funny thing is I felt the same way about it until a few days ago when I started looking at the hockey and baseball sources on there. Looks like a great list

Ryan said...

russosrants moved to russostrib so having both is slightly redundant. thanks for the list though.

Puck Central said...

Thanks Ryan, updated

Derek said...

you forgot us. lol

agreed about Twitter. It's a great source of info.

buddhafisch said...

Each blog on SBN has its own twitter feed as well. such as http://www.twitter.com/hockeywildernes for Hockey Wilderness, the Wild blog.

Also, http://www.twitter.com/prohockeynews

Tons more out there. Go to the sites above, and look at who they are following...

Derek said...

You also should add 2Man Advantage. They're really fun.

Puck Central said...

Good bloggers don't necessarily make good people to follow on twitter, I've updated the list with a few more that I forgot.

Anonymous said...

I suggest @hockeyfights

Justin Kendrick said...

Def. the fastest way to get information from many points of views.

Justin
@hockeycardshow

Anonymous said...

@aportzline

YourHabs said...

Twitter is awesome for everything when following the right people.

Justin
@yourhabs

Puck Central said...

I'm actually following all of you I think, but for purposes of the list I am keeping it to those who mostly only post hockey news and don't have a lot of tweets that are basically talking back and forth with other people. Keep posting recommendations though. Thanks everyone who has sent this list along and the many who have decided to follow PuckCentral since this list hit the internet yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, very helpful. I've been slowly adding different people but this had a bunch of hockey sources that I never heard of or didn't know were on Twitter.

I also like that you weeded out a lot of the people who post irrelevant junk or spend the entire day sending stupid messages to their other followers.

GO LEAFS!

Troublizing said...

what am i chop liver !

@Ranger Crisis

take care

Anonymous said...

@Sportsin140 has a much more comprehensive list, and there are some sports journalists who have been on Twitter for a year, not like those who have just jumped on in the past month or so.

Puck Central said...

I think that everyone that Sportsin140 has listed in the hockey world that posts 'relevant' hockey information has been added to the above list. Also, this list is all in one spot, no real looking through it. Meanwhile w/ the twitter account you suggested (which I was following), you have to search through all of their past tweets to find suggestions and they include people from all of the major sports, not just hockey.

As for length of time, anyone who is joining the Twitter community now doesn't care much for what was done a year ago. It's now & the future that they will need them for their hockey information.

Thanks

Puck Central said...

For NY Rangers fans I've created a similar list that lists the Twitter accounts that NYR fans should be following:

http://puckcentral.blogspot.com/2009/07/who-rangers-fan-should-follow-on.html

Rob said...

easily the best list I've seen, adding these to my account right now. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Steve Sullivan from the Nashville Predators also has a Twitter page. @Sully26

Mackenzie
@Uneedamackenzie

Johnny Griswold said...

Don't forget hockey design blog: PuckDrawn

Puck Central said...

Johnny, I'll leave your comment there so anyone that wants to can add you. But, I'm keeping the list strictly for hockey news. Thanks for checking us out

Claire said...

FYI @Sportsin140 has an indexed website as well, not just a twitter account. www.sportsin140.com. All hockey accounts, NHL, minor league, media, etc. All verified accounts.

Puck Central said...

Claire, thanks for that link, I looked through it and I've considered all of those Twitter accounts. I still consider the ones on the list above to be the best people to follow on Twitter because they update regularly & provide relevant hockey news.

Puck Central said...

I don't have a problem if people recommend hockey Twitter accounts here. But, please don't post Spam w/ links to your own site (especially non-hockey ones). If you want to promote your hockey site e-mail me & we can do a link exchange

Puck Central said...

I refuse to add anyone to this list who claims to be an "insider", so please don't even bother posting your twitter accounts here.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback that I've received from everyone, definitely didn't expect it when I created this list.

KingsCast Hockey Podcast said...

I'd certainly love to be considered. I Tweet primarily about the Los Angeles Kings

Keith
@kingscast
http://kingscast.net

Anonymous said...

@PONDcast has Wild news and audio that I follow

Puck Central said...

No offense Reebok but I wouldn't consider your twitter account very useful for hockey content.

Especially when you come on here and post it "anonymously" -- damn,those IP addresses ;)

Battle of New York said...

Hey,

We also got a blog that covers the Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Sabres. Hope you'll add us. I read you a lot. You got a nice blog.


Much appreciated,



Derek

Battle of New York said...

Oh wait. I should have given ya our Twitter. Duh:


http://twitter.com/BattleOfNewYork


Sorry.

Anonymous said...

To the idiots that keep self-promoting your crappy accounts - stop. The list is useful and most of you that are commenting on here are useless.

Thanks for the awesome list

Puck Central said...

Thanks for helping me police the comments LOL

However, I wouldn't go as far as calling anyone useless

Dani said...

For fans looking to network in more than 140, how about @nhltweetup?

Burgundy said...

Stayclassy.net would love to be considered among the top hockey twitter-ers! (we specialize in talking about the Senators)

@Stay_Classy

Thanks to anyone who follows us!

Stevens8204 said...

The Program would like to be added too as we take hockey from a completely warped point of view.

@stevens8204

Thanks.

Chris

Jonathan Willis said...

I'd be obliged if you'd add me to the list (JonathanWillis).

Tony said...

The Confluence, Penguins blogger on Kukla's Korner....

http://twitter.com/TheConfluence

ChiBlackhawks said...

Couple of things I noted while I was adding them to the Twitter list:

- Sully26 is actually Sullivan26
- FlyingFrenchmen seems to be the wrong username?
- TGCcom gets me an error too
- OneSeasonNHL cannot be found too
- Same with seanaverydotcom but I think you know that too
- a10steen also cannot be found

Puck Central said...

Thanks, these players keep changing their names, deleting their accounts, adding their accounts. Looks like the NYR are making players remove their accounts based on what they did w/ Aaron Voros when he was still a NYR and now Sean Avery.

7th Woman said...

CRAP!!! I didn't make THIS list either! Geeze! What? I don't talk puck enough? And here I thought I didn't shut up. But glad that so many of us do!

Puck Central said...

To the idiot that keeps posting the same SPAM message --- stop!

Don't you realize I get an e-mail when a comment is posted. If it's Spam I delete it within a few minutes usually. This time it was within 5 seconds.

You're wasting your time. You're not fooling anyone by posting that you have a Rangers/Sabres/Devils blog and then your link is about tourism - go away.