Friday, July 10, 2009

Paul Mara Signs With Montreal


According to Kukla's Korner:

Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of defenseman Paul Mara to a one-year contract for the 2009-10 season. As per Club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“Paul Mara will bring size and experience to our group of defensemen. He can contribute to all facets of the game”, said Bob Gainey.

Well that settles the issue that has been brewing over the internet for the past few days of whether Paul Mara or Derek Morris would be brought back for another season on Broadway. Well, it settles it from Mara's perspective, as Derek Morris is still unsigned.

I'm sort of disappointed that the Rangers opted to not re-sign Mara, as I thought he had a solid season last year, had completely transformed his game to fit into the Rangers team by becoming much more physical and a stand up teammate. As I've said before on here, I still do not expect Morris to re-sign in New York. I see Sather making another move on defense because I don't see him starting the season with two rookies on the blue line, I think that at least one more veteran will be brought in before the seasons starts.

I just hope that this report from Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice about the Rangers having interest in Sergei Zubov is incorrect. Zubov in my opinion is way too injury prone at this point in his career to be considered by Sather, he's played in a combined 56 games over the past two NHL seasons in Dallas. [Career Stats] If the Rangers want to go with a veteran blue liner who can man the point on the Power Play then I'd much rather see Sather make a play for Mathieu Scheider. I'm not fully advocating this as the ideal signing, but at least Scheider proved last season when he went to Montreal at the trade deadline that he can still play hockey and he has a rocket of a shot. If Slats has to make a decision about which veteran he should bring back to MSG for a second stint, I would definitely go with Schneider.

No comments: