Friday, July 10, 2009

Rangers Salary Cap Situation

With the additions of Marian Gaborik, Ales Kotalik, Chris Higgins and Donald Brashear you may be wondering what the New York Rangers cap situation looks like. Well, I used CapGeek
to punch in some salaries to see how close to the salary cap the Rangers are. As you'll see below, I've removed Nik Zherdev from the roster, demoted Rismiller, Arnason and Voros to the AHL and awarded Callahan ($2.3M) Dubinsky ($2M) and Korpikoski ($1.1M) new contract extensions. This leaves the Rangers a roster of 19 players about $3M under the salary cap, needing to add one to three more players to the roster, since the current lineup I have only has 11 forwards.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention Grachev...he could quite possibly be our 11th man. Also don't forget Dane Byers or Tyler Arnason.

Puck Central said...

You're right these are all possibilities. I mentioned Arnason above, IMO he was signed as a depth player in case of injury but will start the season in Hartford. If Grachev and/or Byers make the team then that will give the NYRs 12/13 forwards on the roster if all else remains the same.

My roster also has Gilroy & Sanguinetti as part of the defensive unit and chances are that Sather may only start one of them in NY and sign a veteran defenseman as the 5th or 6th dman (Mara might even be back)

Good points though!

Brian said...

Hey Puck,

How did you manage to embed your roster on your blog?

Puck Central said...

I did a screen capture and then edited it using paint and saved it as a .jpeg. If you need better instructions just send me an e-mail, my e-mail links is on the left.

Brian said...

Thanks, I googled screen capture and figured it out. Check out my ideal roster at http://saveprucha.blogspot.com.