Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rangers Sign UFA RW Ales Kotalik

This move could really seal the deal for Nik Zherdev needing to buy himself a one-way ticket out of town. He certainly can play on any of the Rangers top three lines, but is likely to fill in on the second or third lines behind Gaborik.

According to Ranger Rants:

Chris Drury's former Buffalo Sabres teammate, right wing Ales Kotalik, agrees to a deal with the Rangers, details hopefully to come.

Kotalik, 30, ended last season with the Oilers and he combined for 20 goals and 23 assists between Edmonton and Buffalo, the fourth season he has reached 20 goals. At 6-1, 227 pounds, the Czech has a bit of size, too.

According to TSN it's a 3 year deal worth $3M per season. Sounds like a pretty good contract for a player that is capable of scoring 20-25 goals. [Career Stats]

He's much bigger than I realized. But, that doesn't mean much if you don't play big. I don't know much about Kotalik, but I believe from the few times the Rangers played the Sabres that he had a rocket of a shot and sometimes played the point on the Power Play. Anyone else have any thoughts on this signing?


Free 2 Week Trial!

Netflix, Inc.

Free 2 Week Trial!

3 comments:

RJ said...

Thanks PC, I'm signed up for your RSS feed and most of these signings/trades I see from your site before the big ones...very cool

Puck Central said...

RJ - I post them as soon as I see them but I have no inside knowledge so my posts are only as good as the other online sources like Ranger Rants, Blue Notes, TSN & Sportsnet. Also, Twitter has become a very good place for getting info because once one person sees it, everyone hears about it. Keep reading though & I'll try & keep everyone updated!

Puck Central said...

From what I've read about Kotalik around the internet, he's just as good at playing hide-n-seek as Zherdev.

It seems he has the same "play 2-3 games well at a time & disappear for weeks" mentality. Let's hope the critics are wrong!