Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Report: Ducks Sign Saku Koivu


According to the Official Twitter of the Anaheim Ducks:
The Ducks are expected to announce the signing of former Montreal center Saku Koivu later this morning.
Not sure how Ducks fans feel about this, he'll be centering the second line, with Ryan Getzlaf the team's number one center. But, he's definitely an upgrade over Brenan Morrison (who I also hope the Rangers avoid). It was speculated for months that Koivu would be heading to Minnesota to finish his career on the same team as his brother, who plays for the Wild.

It was also rumored since the Rangers traded Scott Gomez that they were in the mix for Koivu, which I definitely didn't want to see, so I'm happy if this report is true (no reason to believe it's not, it is the Ducks official twitter). As the number two in Anaheim, I think that is where Koivu will fit in nicely, in New York, Koivu would've probably been expected to play on the top line and just like Gomez before him, I think that Koivu is no longer a guy that can be relied upon as the team's top center.

Update: I posted the original story just a few minutes ago, but according to Ducks Blog, Koivu has signed a 1 year deal for $3.25M.

2 comments:

Skip said...

PC - I disagree, I think that Koivu centering a line with Gaborik and Higgins as his wingers would have definitely worked. Instead the Rangers will have to play Drury or Dubinsky on the top line and I don't think that is going to work out very well. Unless a trade is in the works or Sundin is coming here, I don't see a legit #1 center coming to NY before next season

Puck Central said...

Skip - Please don't mention Sundin's name around here again :)

I see where you are coming from but I don't see Koivu as the answer. To me, he's a very good center in the right situation, in NY there are already a lot of small forwards and he'd just be another one to throw in the mix.