- There could be a lot more to the Paul Kelly firing over the weekend by the NHLPA then was first reported. Steve Valiquette, who is the Rangers NHLPA player rep, said that based on information the player reps had it was a decision that they were "forced" to make. Valiquette said exact details can't be discussed until all of the players are told first. Maybe there will be more information once training camp begins. [Link]
- Jason Smith who played last season for the Senators will be announcing later today that he is retiring after playing 17 seasons in the NHL. [Link]
- Reports from Rangers informal pratices:
Gaborik says that he has no lingering effects from his most recent hip surgery. Ranger fans hope that this is the first and last time that they have to hear Gaborik talk about injury problems. [Link]
Steve Zipay takes a closer look at new addition Enver Lisin (acquired from Phoenix earlier this summer for Lauri Korpikoski) and even has some quotes from the Russian forward. [Link]
- Anyone that listens to XM Radio during the NHL season knows that Phil Esposito is very opinionated. He throws in his two cents about the Phoenix situation. [Link]
- Speaking of Espo, it looks like there could be trouble in Tampa. It's rumored that Len Barrie, one of the co-owners, improperly took money from a group of investors to purchase the Lightning. - I love the use of the phrase "improperly took money," otherwise known as stealing! [Link]
- I posted this list of "Team Beat Writers Who Have Blogs" this morning. I'd recommend bookmarking it, so that throughout the season you can check up on those blogs. Usually when there is breaking news, it is the beat writers who are with the team a lot of the time who break it.