Where: Mellon Arena (or your living room)
TV: RDS, NHLN-CA, NHLN-US, MSG(HD)
This is the moment that Ranger fans have been waiting for since being bounced from the playoffs by the Capitals last season. What better way to start the new season off then to have to sit through a Stanley Cup banner raising ceremony in Pittsburgh and realize that it's been 15 years since your team won shit.
In all honesty though, once the puck drops, it's a brand new season and the eye should be on the prize. It's off to Pittsburgh for the first game of the season tonight (Friday) and then back to MSG tomorrow night (Saturday) for the home opener against Ottawa.
Expected Rangers Lines
Higgins - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Prospal - Drury - Kotalik
Lisin - Anisimov - Callahan
Brashear - Boyle - Voros
Staal - Girardi
Del Zotto - Rozsival
Gilroy - Redden
Continue Reading - lots more after the jump!
- I asked Alexei Semenov's agent, Allan Walsh, what the status was of Semenov and whether he had a contract with the Rangers. Walsh said that it "Will be clear tomorrow". It was originally reported Wednesday evening that Semenov had signed a one year deal to play for the Rangers. But, then reported by several media sources yesterday, there was a dispute between the two sides about something (rumored to be an offer from a KHL club) and the contract had only verbally been agreed to. Semenov is with the team in Pittsburgh as one of the seven defensemen on the roster.
Update @ 11:40 AM
According to Steve Zipay's Twitter: "Semenov gone; Sather said players and agent agreed but Semenov's wife nixed deal."
- Blue Notes with some interesting facts regarding Michael Del Zotto's NHL debut:
The last Rangers defenseman to play as a teenager was Brian Leetch, and he turned 20 just three days after his NHL debut in 1987-88.
Del Zotto, 19, will be the youngest defenseman to play for the Blueshirts since Dave Maloney (18 years, four months) and Dave was the youngest D in franchise history.
- Former Ranger Blair Betts yesterday signed a one year, $550K contract with the Flyers. Betts had been with the Flyers on a tryout basis all preseason.
- Colton Orr got in his first regular season fight as a member of Toronto under two minutes into the regular season. Dropping the mitts with none other than George Laraques. [Video]
- Ryan Callahan will start the season as the team's only Assistant Captain
A look at it from the other perspective:
Pittsbugh Puck Talk
The Pens Blog