Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brashear Asks For Trade

Updated @ 12:30pm ET According to TSN: New York Rangers have put Donald Brashear on waivers

==========
It was only a matter of time before some news broke on the Donald Brashear front. He's been spending a lot of time in the press box recently. It didn't sit well with Ales Kotalik when he was out of the lineup on a consistent basis and it's apparently not sitting very well with The Donald either. Brashear believes that the reason why he's been a healthy scratch for eleven out of the past twelve games is because he requested a trade.

According to Ranger Rants:
"It just shows me they don’t believe in me," Brashear told The Record. "I ask for a trade, that’s more likely why I’m not playing any games. Usually, when you ask for a trade, they don’t play you."
Usually when you play like crap they don't play you either ;) .... just ask Kotalik.
"When I talked to [coach John Tortorella] this summer, he was telling me he was going to play me in different situations," Brashear said. "I came here in shape ready to play. I thought I had a good camp. You think, why sign me for two years if you’re not game to use me?"
Donald, you had an ok camp. But, from there on in you haven't done anything productive for this team. I don't remember a significant fight this season where you went out there and pummeled someone or turned the momentum in the Rangers favor. Unlike Colton Orr, you are a defensive liability. The reason you are not playing may be because you requested a trade. But honestly, you shouldn't be playing anyway based on the way you have played this entire season!

But wait, there's more....
"At the same time, I don’t really understand what they expect,"  said Brashear, who injured his hand early in the season and recently had a hamstring issue. "Do they want a showman like they had in Orr or do they want a guy that can play and fight?"
That statement would be true if by "showman" Brashear means one of the most entertaining, toe-to-toe fighters in the NHL. Plus, by saying they wanted a guy that can play and fight he meant someone who is washed up, fights like he has no desire to do anything other than hang on and go for a five minute rest in the penalty box.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why Brashear is frustrated. But, let's be honest here, the Brashear that has worn the blueshirt is not the Donald of the past. He's a shadow of his former self. At this point, no one in their right mind would be willing to trade for Brashear at the remainning $1.4M on his contract for next season. Then again, Sather has found trade partners for Gomez and Kotalik, so I guess anything is possible.






Sponsors: Stubhub | RazorGator | TicketsNow | TickCo

No comments: