Thursday, September 16, 2010

Exclusive Interview With Dancin' Larry

If you've ever been to a Rangers game at MSG then you have no doubt seen Dancin' Larry in action. He's the bald guy up in Section 407 that dances when "Strike It Up" gets played at all Rangers games. Over the years he's become as much part of the experience of being at a Rangers game as the "Potvin Sucks" chant.

I reached out to Larry asking him if he'd answer a few questions for Puck Central via e-mail and he was kind enough to do so.

Larry, how long have you been a Rangers fan?

Rangers fan since 1982.

How long have you been a Rangers season ticket holder? Have you always sat in the same section? How many games do you attend on average per season?

Season ticket holder since 1988 and I have only missed 5 games in that time. Last home game I missed was back in April of 2002.

When did you start doing the "Dancin Larry" routine? Did it become a regular thing every game or was it sporadic? Did you coin the nickname yourself or did someone else pass that onto you?

I started the dance during a game back in 96 and Sam Rosen called me Dancin' Larry on one of the broadcasts.

I know you aren't affiliated with or paid by the New York Rangers in any way. But, have they ever reached out to you?

The Rangers ask me to come to certain season subscriber events.

Is there ever a time you regretted dancing at Rangers games but felt that now that you've done it for so long you have to continue?

I never regretted dancing and I must always continue because the fans depend on me.

You were on cable television one time to do the weather report, any other cool things you've got to do because of your "fame"?

Besides doing the weather for Channel 11, I was in two books; A Day in the Life of the NHL and New York Characters.

Who is your favorite current Ranger? Favorite Ranger of all-time?

I have so many favorite Rangers...Some are Mark Messier, Adam Graves, Mike Richter, Brian Leetch, Esa Tikkanen, Nick Fotiu, John Vanbiesbrouck, John Davidson and of course some of the current Rangers...Henrik Lundqvist, Sean Avery, Ryan Callahan, Marc Staal and Marian Gaborik.

Do people at your job know what you do in your free time?

Everyone at work knows my alter ego lol.

Anything that I missed that you'd like to point out to our readers?

All I ask for is to dance for the Stanley Cup one day!

Amen to that Larry! 

No comments: